Luce, aka Louis, aka Lucifer
- How old are you? Have you been rattling around since the early days, or are you a new addition to the family?
I was born in 1303, making me older than some of my uncles. This amuses me more than it does them.
- What are you known for? Power? Subtlety? Duelling?
Power… Yes, that is possibly the best way to look at it. I am known to be drawn to not just power, but the expressions of it. Not in any truly sociopathic way, mind – I consider it a dedicated hobby. Some might also talk of me as possessing somewhat in the way of skill with a blade.
- How would an average shadow-dweller react to you?
Deferentially, I should hope, but I have been known to make allowances.
- When did you walk the Pattern? How did it affect you?
I believe you can check the family histories for that one.
- Who took you to the Pattern room? Why?
Dworkin, and it occurs to me that he did not say. In faith, it never occurred to me to even think of it… Hmm. I wish he weren’t lost…
- What did you do with you new power?
What I am sure everyone does. Leave home, wander Shadow, and become a king of arcane power and dark whims, eventually put down by a counter-revolution. Why do you ask?
- Who is your (likely) Amber parent? Do you get along with them?
My mother is Alma, and through her I have the blood of Oberon. As to getting along – you do know I was but two when she was murdered? I remember her eyes, though. They seemed… kind.
- What was your upbringing like? Was your Amber parent involved?
Obviously, no. I was raised by my grandmother’s family, more as a proof of loyalty than anything else. I suspect they were eventually glad to have rid of me, and do no look forward to my visits.
- What about the rest of your family? Where do they come from? Are they still around?
House Chantris – I think you know them. But they were always rather distant with me, worried to offend lest they earn the ire of Oberon; rather too scared too get close, lest they earn the ire, of, well – me.
- Who in the royal family do you connect with? Who among them do you hate?
I respect Benedict, and have always appreciated any chance to serve at his side. I appreciate Erica’s firm hand, though do worry that she is too inflexible to rule. Julian is competent enough. Random is a prattling fool, and what he did to his sister…
But I do not hate him. I reserve that for the children of Clarissa Feldane.
- Is Amber home to you? If not, then where?
Not home, but it is a place I return to often, and I have fought to defend her silver spires and green lawns. I call no place home, at least not for long. If in Amber, I am generally soon to leave; if in Shadow, I inevitably am not in one place for long.
- Do you claim membership of any of Amber’s noble houses? Which one, and why?
Chantris, you fool – do please pay attention if you are going to ask these incessant questions.
- Are you associated with any of Amber’s military or mercantile groups? Which one/s?
I have served in Benedict’s own guard on a couple of occasions, lead some household troops once or twice, and even once brought my own cadre to support Amber in her wars; and the family links to the Fleet have seen me take to the seas commanding a vessel of my own when it is called for. But as to trade… Not really my thing.
- Have you fought in any of Amber’s big wars (assuming you were old enough to)? Why/why not?
When I have known Amber is in need, I have always returned. I have fought pirates, put down bandits, and held an important redoubt during the Fifth Weirmonken War, where I even brought auxiliaries from Shadow. They died, every one, but we held our line. I should like to raise for them a Dolmen on the spot, in their memory.
And I fought because this is Amber. It is all. Surely that is enough?
- Do you care who sits on the throne? Why/why not?
Why do you ask?
(at which he peers suspiciously, in such a way to suggest that he has never once thought of the throne, no, of course, what possible use would he have for a throne?)
- Are you old enough to remember the fallout from Osric’s attempted coup? Were you involved? How did you escape with your life?
Before my time.
- How involved were you in the recent troubles between Erica, Corwin and Bleys? If you weren’t involved, why did you stay out of it? If you were involved, whose side were you on?
Ah. That was difficult. I do wish I had returned in time to defend the throne, I truly do. But I am pleased that Erica had the better of it.