Here are some questions you might like to consider as you build your character backgrounds…
- How old are you? Have you been rattling around since the early days, or are you a new addition to the family?
- What are you known for? Power? Subtlety? Duelling?
- How would an average shadow-dweller react to you?
- What in your life do you regret?
- When did you walk the Pattern? How did it affect you?
- Who took you to the Pattern room? Why?
- What did you do with you new power?
- Who is your (likely) Amber parent? Do you get along with them?
- What was your upbringing like? Was your Amber parent involved?
- What about the rest of your family? Where do they come from? Are they still around?
- Who in the royal family do you connect with? Who among them do you hate?
- Is Amber home to you? If not, then where?
- Do you claim membership of any of Amber’s noble houses? Which one, and why?
- Are you associated with any of Amber’s military or mercantile groups? Which one/s?
- Have you fought in any of Amber’s big wars (assuming you were old enough to)? Why/why not?
- Do you care who sits on the throne? Why/why not?
- Are you old enough to remember the fallout from Osric’s attempted coup? Were you involved? How did you escape with your life?
- How involved were you in the recent troubles between Erica, Corwin and Bleys? If you weren’t involved, why did you stay out of it? If you were involved, whose side were you on?
Out of character stuff
- What kind of stories would you like to see for your character?
- What kind of plots do you get a kick out of? (Tragic romance, gritty politics, action, horror, etc)
- Is there any style of plot or type of scene I should never run at you?
- What kind of player aids would help you get more out the game? (NPC photos, maps, martinis, etc)
- Anything else I can do to help? (For instance, taking you aside to talk through an intense scene before playing it out)